Windmills wows weekend wanderer

Lynn Moncus

Either the weather or sloth has interfered with our Sunday drives into the county, but last Sunday, Aggie managed to convince me that we should leave in the early afternoon and drive as far as we could see.

Because we hadn’t investigated the new wind farm, we headed toward it and began to see those spikes on the caprock as we left town. Just watching them as we drove along was a novel experience and provided much food for thought as we considered the history of that area and wondered what those pioneers would have said had they seen them turning in the wind.

We hadn’t anticipated quite so much traffic but managed to stay out of the way of the big trucks as we ambled along. When we stopped across from the entrance to the amphitheatre, we could look into the valley while gazing at those giants. Because the wind was at gale force, I had a little trouble getting out of the car to take pictures. Of Course, Aggie was miffed because I wouldn’t let her out, but she would have looked like a kite at the end of her leash as she blew around. I took pictures in one big hurry and returned to the car to rest from the battering.

Because we hadn’t stopped at the Wheatland School in a long time, we paused to take a few more pictures in the high wind and thought again about the pioneers who had landed there so long ago and who had to learn to cope with the howling wind and the tumbling tumbleweeds. I am certainly not one who feels lonely very often, but I can stand on those flat plains only so long without having to find another living soul in order to keep loneliness at bay. Seeing fences covered with tumbleweeds let us know that moisture had enhanced their growth because they have been fairly small for several years and not even very abundant. Seeing a farmer still fighting to harvest his feed also let us know that the moisture had been plentiful and had caused a few problems at harvest time.

We had read recently about complaints that many of the country roads were in bad shape, and we saw many with very crooked tracks and deep ruts. Because we were ready to head back to town, we didn’t take any detours to see just how rough those roads could be or to see if any were still muddy. That just wasn’t one of the days during which I felt very adventurous. After all, I learned to drive on such roads and didn’t need to repeat some experiences. Of course, our roads weren’t as well maintained as those of today, but I still wasn’t interested in seeing if I could get stuck or high centered.

By the time we reached the Quay School, Aggie was more than a little ready to take a walk. Since that is our usual place to walk these days, she gets excited as we approach. I have surely enjoyed watching the progress of the face lift on that building and feel that the people in that community are going to be very proud of its appearance even though they have much work to do on the inside after the many roof problems they have had.

As we left that favorite spot, we admired the beautiful mesas and had more thoughts of the past until we came upon the little tree that Bert Waterman had decorated as her present to the people of our county and the travelers of 209. We stopped to take more pictures and to replace a few of the decorations that had been tossed about by the wind, Bert surely deserves our thanks.

If the weather holds, Aggie and I will head in another direction Sunday in order to enjoy an outing and to admire our countryside.