• Altrusa International of Tucumcari and the BPO Elks Lodge No. 1172 will be presenting “The Second Chance Life Values Program” to Quay county high schools from 12:45 p.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday in the Tucumcari High School Auditorium.
The program is part of the Alternative Sentencing Programs and Educational Networks of New Mexico, or ASPEN.
• The Missoula Children’s Theatre and the student body of Mosquero Municipal Schools will present an original musical adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s classic, “The Jungle Book,” on April 22 at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Students are involved in the production by either acting, directing, or working on props, lighting, and special effects.
All visitors are invited to attend the performances. Tickets are $2 for adults and $1 for students.
• The annual Young Cattleman’s Scholarship will be awarded to New Mexico students by the New Mexico Cattle Grower’s Association at their summer quarterly meeting in Las Vegas in June. The deadline for applications is May 15.
The $1,500 NMCGA Young Cattlemen’s Committee Graduate Scholarship is awarded to a student with an agricultural background who is pursuing a post-graduate degree in a non-typical agricultural field. Applicants must be residents of New Mexico and the award must be applied toward post-graduate studies. Financial need will be considered, but is not a prerequisite for the scholarship.
For applications or information contact the NMCGA office at 247-0584 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Talent Literary Guild is sponsoring an amateur poetry contest, free to everyone. There are 50 prizes total, including a $1,000 grand prize.
To enter send one poem 21 lines or less to Free Poetry Contest, 1257 Siskiyou Blvd., PMB 4, Ashland, OR 97520. You may also enter online at www.freecontest.com
Poems may be written on any subject, using any style.
The deadline for entering is April 30.
• The D.W.I. office and M.C.H. Council at 11 a.m. May 3 in the back area at Bambino’s. District Attorney Ron Reeves will be the guest speaker.
Questions for Reeves’ must be submitted to the DWI office by April 25.
For more information call the office at 461-6096.
• The Canadian River Soil and Water Conservation District will provide scholarships for two students between from its district to attend ages 13 to 18 the New Mexico Forestry Camp at Rancho del Chaparral in the Jemez mountains near Cuba, N.M from June 12 to June 17.
Students from Nara Visa, Logan, San Jon, Conchas Dam and Tucumcari are eligible to apply. Applications for the District Scholarship should be received by noon April 18. Late applications will be accepted until noon April 29, but should be turned in as soon as possible.
• Tucumcari Kampgrounds Of America camp ground will offer free camping May 13 as part of KOA’s second annual Come Camp With Us Day event.
Reservations can be made online at www.koa.com and click on the Come Camp With Us Day button.