“ A Taste of Culture — Native American Day,” — in Building A Commons area at Mesalands Community College. The even will include exhibits, food, Navajo dancers, and guest speaker. The community is welcome. For information contact D’Shannon Mendez at 461-4413 ext. 189.
Public hearing on the Tucumcari Landfill — 6:30 p.m. at the Tucumcari Convention center.
Second Chance Life Values Program — 12:45 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Tucumcari High School Auditorium. The program is sponsored by the Altrusa International and BPO Elks Lodge No. 1172 of Tucumcari and will be presented to the Quay County High School students as part of the Alternative Sentencing Programs and Educational Networks of New Mexico.
Tucumcari city commission meeting — 6 p.m. at City Hall.
Quay County Tourism Council meeting — noon at the Tucumcari Historical Museum. They will be discussing projects for the upcoming summer. The meetings are open to anyone interested in tourism. Information: Brenda Bishop at the Extension Office 461-0562.
Applications deadline — for the Alpha Mu Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi scholarship. Two scholarships are available for graduating seniors in the amount of $200.
Applications can be obtained from the Apollo Gym at 121 East Main Street in Tucumcari. Mail to : Alpha Mu Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi; c/o Mary Jimenez; P.O. Box 427; Tucumcari, NM 88401.
You can hand deliver them to Apollo Gym.
Health survey deadline — last day to complete survey for Quay county citizens to give concerns to the New Mexico Health Department and Environment Department. They are available at the public library, City Hall, Quay County Extension office, Quay County Family Health Center, Public Health office, and the Quay County Manager’s office, in Tucumcari; the village office, senior citizen’s center and Logan Family Health Center, in Logan; the village office and senior citizen’s center in San Jon; and the village office in House.
Quay County Rabies Clinics — The Tucumcari clinic will be at the City Warehouse, 302 W. Center St. from 9 a.m. to noon conducted by Dr. Tompkins and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. conducted by Dr. Corey. Dr. Farmer will conduct clinics in Nara Visa from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. (CDT) at the fire station; in Logan from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the fires stations and in San Jon from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the fire station. Rabies vaccinations for dogs and cats are $6 each. Other vaccinations will be available at additional cost. Please have your dog on a leash and cat in a carrier.
4-H pig and lamb sale — 2 p.m. at the Quay County Fair grounds.
The Canadian River Soil and Conservation District meeting — 7:00 p.m. in the conference room of the Natural Resource Conservation Service, 706 S. First Street, in Tucumcari.
The annual Roundhouse Review session — 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. at the Holiday Inn in Tucumcari. The meetings will feature local legislators and include a briefing on how key business issues were addressed during the 2005 legislative session. A question and answer session will be included. Tickets are $12 per person and must be purchased in advance. Information: 461-1694
• April 20 — Eastern New Mexico Rural Water Authority at 10 a.m. at the Tucumcari Convention Center.
• April 22 — Outdoor classroom field day in honor of Earth Day.
• April 22 — The Missoula Children’s Theatre and the student body of Mosquero Municipal Schools will present an original musical adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s classic, “The Jungle Book,” at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Tickets are $2 for adults and $1 for students.
• April 23 — Bluegrass Music program 7 p.m. at the Quay County Exhibit Hall, 1000 Camino del Coronado.
• April 26 — City of Tucumcari planning commission at 5:15 p.m. at City Hall.
• April 28 — City of Tucumcari housing authority meeting at 5 p.m. at City Hall.
• April 28 — City Commission meeting at 6 p.m. at City Hall.
• May 3 — The Maternal, Child and Community Health Council and the DWI office will hold a joint meeting at 11 a.m. in the back area at Bambino’s. District Attorney Ron Reeves will be the guest speaker.
Questions for Reeves’ must be submitted to the DWI office by April 25.
For more information call the office at 461-6096.
• May 5 — Cinco De Mayo Celebration at Mesalands Community College, 911 S. 10th St. Information: 461-4413.
• May 13 — Free camping on May 13 at Kampgrounds of America.
To list items in the community calendar contact Tova Fruchtman at 461-1952 or e-mail email@example.com. The deadline is 10 a.m. Friday for Saturday’s paper and 10 a.m. Tuesday for Wednesday’s paper.