The Best Little Festival on Route 66 hits its stride today with activities ranging from vendor and food booths at Tucumcari’s Convention Center to a rodeo at the fairgrounds. Here’s a quick look at the happenings, by numbers:
• 1 — murals dedicated to the Mother Road painted on the side of Lowe’s
• 5 — years Tucumcari has held its Best Little Festival on Route 66
• 3 — days the Tucumcari celebration lasts (it started Thursday night with a watermelon feed and bluegrass music)
• 150 — estimated number of people who attended the Fandango Dinner Party on Friday night
• 16 — classes of cars in the Rotary Car Show set for today
• 30 — minutes set aside (4-4:30 p.m. today) for the Monster Truck Car Crush at the Convention Center
• 5 — hours for the rodeo tonight (4-9 p.m.). Admission is $4 for adults and $2 for students.
• 1,000-plus — people expected to attend Tucumcari festivities this weekend.
• 2,448 — that’s the length in miles of Route 66, which crosses eight states and three time zones
• 2 — lanes on the original Route 66
• 50 — percent of population increase in 1930 in Tucumcari when the road was built
• 9 — neon signs restored in the state along the route by New Mexico Route 66 Association through revitalization projects
Sources include: Tucumcari Chamber of Commerce and locals heading festival events, www.rt66nm.org, www.nenewmexico.com