By Quay County Sun
William Reents, Tucumcari School Superintendent, and the Tucumcari Public Schools have come to a resignation and settlement agreement.
Reents has been on administrative leave since June 6 and was given a termination letter by the Tucumcari Board of Education in July. Reents had appealed the board’s decision.
Before coming to the board for approval, the agreement had been approved by the state’s Public Education Department (PED) and the District Court in Santa Fe, said school board member Al Mitchell.
The agreement stipulates that Reents:
• resign his employment effective June 30, 2007.
• State health insurance coverage be canceled effective Oct. 31, 2006.
• agrees to leave without pay effective Oct. 15, 2006 through June 30, 2007.
The agreement also stipulates that Tucumcari Public Schools will:
• place Reents on leave effective Oct. 15 2006 through June 30, 2007, but otherwise maintain his employment through June 30, 2007.
• continue to contribute to Reents’ Educational Retirement Board retirement account through June 30, 2007.
• pay Reents $10,000 upon completion of procedures imposed by the Tucumcari Public Schools by regulations of the New Mexico’s PED.
The agreement was approved at a special school board meeting last week.