By Thomas Garcia: Quay County Sun
The Tucumcari Rattlers wresting team had several of their wrestlers place in the top five of their weight class and the team took fourth place overall in points on Friday and Saturday at the Saint Michael’s Al Salazar Memorial Wrestling Tournament in Santa Fe.
Rattler Raymond Jimenez was voted the most valuable wrestler in the 103 to 130 weight class at the tournament.
“Overall I feel we did OK,” said coach Eddie Encinias.
“I feel that some of our guys could have wrestled a little better. Our next match is in Ruidoso this Saturday and we get to see two teams we have not seen wrestle yet, Ruidoso and New Mexico Military Institute. Finally, seeing them wrestle will help us better prepare for the state competition.”
The Rattlers next competition is at 9 a.m., at the Sierra Blanca Invite at Ruidoso.
Saint Michael’s Al Salazar Memorial Wrestling Tournament results:
• 1 Bloomfield 288
• 2 Saint Michael’s 206
• 3 Taos 190
• 4 Tucumcari 187.5
• 5 Windgate 109
Individual Rattler placing and weight class:
• Raymond Jiminez, first 103 pounds
• Jacob Ramirez, third 112 pounds
• Cameron Manning, fourth 119 pounds
• Michael Fazekas, fourth 130 pounds
• Ryan Fought, third 135 pounds
• Matt Garcia, fourth 140 pounds
• Brian Lopez, second 215 pounds
• Josh Enriquez, third heavy weight