By QCS Staff
Tucumcari Altrusa International contributes to the success of many projects in Tucumcari. During the first quarter of this year, contributions to Altrusa community service projects totaled more than $6,000, according to a release by the group.
The following are Altrusa’s community service projects and the amount it has contributed:
• MCCH Council Immunization Project: This money covers the cost of incentives for on time immunizations for infants. Among the incentives is a dinner for two awarded at a monthly drawing held at KTNM. $700.
• Tucumcari Public Library – Help Me Say Goodbye: The library has distributed the initial supply of books that Altrusa purchased and this will buy 5 books to be distributed to children who have experienced a loss. $50.
• Tucumcari Public Library – Adult Reading Area: This will replace old furniture at the library and consists of a leather couch, love seat and chair. $1,350
• City of Tucumcari Recreation Department: The hand rails on the bleachers at the baseball field are wood that has splintered. The recreation department would like to replace the rails with angle iron. The bleachers are being refurbished using the old bleachers from the Rattler Stadium and this would enhance the project.$525.
• Relay for Life/American Cancer Society: Donation to American Cancer Society to be presented during Relay for Life. $500.
• Team Liberty: This is an endurance team that is going to participate in a horseback endurance race from Santa Fe, New Mexico to Independence, Missouri. The team from Tucumcari is one of only two New Mexico Teams. $100.
• Community Easter Egg Hunt: Last year the children’s department of the Assembly of God Church organized this event with the unexpected result of 1000 participants. This year other clubs and businesses are helping underwrite a portion of the cost.$200.
• Daughters of the American Revolution – New Mexico History Books: This is a state-wide DAR project to purchase a new set of New Mexico History books for every middle school in the state. $500.
• Tucumcari Middle School Reading Program: This project provides incentives to middle school students who read a predetermined number of books at the students reading level. The program has been successful in promoting literacy in the middle school. $250.
• Quay County Maternal Child & Community Health Council Suicide Prevention Project – Media campaign to encourage community awareness of youth suicide as part of school-based suicide prevention program. KTNM matches this project dollar for dollar. $1,400.
• Quay Council for Arts and Humanities – helps to underwrite the programs they bring to Tucumcari – in particular, the outreach programs provided to the schools. $500