Family thankful pet calf going to new home

Thomas Garcia

Most families spend the day after Thanksgiving waiting in line at dawn for holiday shopping deals or enjoying a slow lazy day eating turkey leftovers.

But one family from Edgewood was making a “Logan’s Run.” They were transporting a pet steer, affectionately called Logan, across the state line and deep into the heart of Texas to an animal sanctuary and his future home.

On Friday Leona Gallegos, her husband, Mike Marlow, and her sister, Linda Gonzales, were the runners hauling Logan to the Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, near Dallas.
“We would like to be shopping or at home enjoying the holiday,” Gallegos said.

But, “This is a labor of love, and knowing that Logan is going to be safe and happy makes it all worth it,” Gonzales said.
This tale begins several months ago at the Lonnie Gallegos’s ranch, northeast of Tucumcari, when a elderly cow died giving birth to a baby steer.

The calf was named Logan for the Village of Logan.

The then-orphaned calf was being taken care of by Lonnie Gallegos until his daughters, Leona Gallegos and Linda Gonzales, decided to give the steer a new home.

“The first time we saw Logan he was 12 days old,” Leona Gallegos said. “We watched him run around and play and decided to take him back with us to Edgewood.”

Leona and her husband loaded up Logan, then 100 pounds, into the back seat of their Crown Victoria and drove him to Edgewood.
“It was an interesting drive home, he was the perfect back seat driver,” Marlow said. “He was very interested in looking around the vehicle and out the different windows.”

At the time Lonnie Gallegos, a longtime rancher and cattle producer, said he thought that his daughters had the intention of raising and then eating the steer.

“I gave them the steer to raise and eat, now they are taking it to Texas, I don’t know what to think,” said Lonnie Gallegos, who met up briefly with the family in Tucumcari on their way to Dallas.

It was also the first time, that Lonnie Gallegos heard about how Logan’s life on the range had changed in Edgewood and how the Gallegos sisters watched as Logan adapted to his new home and began acting more like a puppy and less like a steer.

Logan found a glider sofa with a soft cushion on the the porch and would stretch out to slumber – that is, until he got too big, some 400 pounds.
And by this time Logan was easily getting out of the fenced yard and making up own his games.

Gonzales said that Logan developed a game of play which they dubbed “people tipping,” overturning the tables, perhaps, on behalf of some long ago ancestor.

“He would run up to cars that just pulled into the driveway and wait for someone to get out of the car,” Gonzales said.

Gonzales said that if Logan wanted to leave the yard he very well could at any time, so it was important to find him a place were he could roam around freely and be safe.

“We knew that we were going to have to find a place that he could stay and be taken care of,” Leona Gallegos said.

The two sisters found plenty of places ready and willing to take Logan in, the only setback they said was that everyone of them intended to butcher Logan in the end.

“We just simply could not have that,” Leona Gallegos said. “Logan is a part of our family. There is no way we would let them kill him.”
After some research and a few calls, they sought the help of the Animal Protection of New Mexico Inc., an animal advocacy group based in Albuquerque.

“They were a tremendous help,” Gonzales said. “They were able to help us find a place to take Logan where he could live out his life safely.”