The Tucumcari alumni will soon return home for the 50th annual Rattler Reunion.
Local residents and those tourist traveling on South First Street in Tucumcari may notice a purple and gold reminder of the reunion.
The class of 1978 has donated a billboard cover which highlights the events which will take place on Aug. 2-4
"My husband's class donated the cover to the Rattler alumni association," said Beverly Whittington of Clovis. She and husband Stephen plan to attend the reunion.
The billboard which the covers was placed on was donated by C.J. Wiegel.
"Anything to help out the Rattlers," Wiegel said.
Wiegel said the purpose of the billboard is to remind local residents of the reunion and perhaps increase the attendance.
"We are hoping to have a big crowd this year, but of course we always want to have as many Rattlers return home (as possible)," said Norma Jean Crellin, president of the Rattler Alumni Association.
Crellin said in the past few years the economy has affected the number of Rattlers that make the trip home to Tucumcari. She said it's hard to know just how many of the alumni will make it to the reunion from year to year.
Crellin said many of the Rattlers still make the journey despite the economy, which makes for a great reunion when they fill the Tucumcari Convention Center.
- 6 p.m.-9 p.m.: Rattler mixer, Tucumcari Convention Center patio, cash bar included with items furnished by the Rattler Alumni Board.
- 9 a.m.-8:30 p.m.: Registration, convention center; $35 fee includes annual, dances and banquet.
- 8:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 2 p.m.: Golf scramble, Tucumcari Municipal Golf Course. $25 sign-up fee includes cart. Information: 461-1849.
- 5:30 p.m.: Social, convention center.
- 6 p.m.-8 p.m.: Dinner, convention center. $8 admission.
- 8 p.m.: Dance to Bakersfield Twang.
- 7 a.m.-9 a.m.: Pancake breakfast, Mesa Cafeteria, 901 S. Fifth St. $5 admission.
- 9 a.m.: Parade, starting at convention center. Classes gather 30 minutes prior.
- 10:30 a.m.-noon: Registration, convention center.
- 10:30 a.m.-noon: Class pictures, convention center.
- Noon: Class luncheons, individual locations TBD.
- Noon: Golden Rattler Reunion, Railroad Depot. Hosted by Class of 1975, tickets must be purchased by noon Friday.
- 6:30 p.m.: Social, convention center.
- 7 p.m.: Banquet, convention center. Dance to follow.