Mesalands Community College hosts Stampede Week, beginning Monday through Oct. 12 in preparation for the 6th annual Grand Canyon Region Intercollegiate Rodeo.
The rodeo is Oct. 11-12 at the Quay County Rodeo Arena. The Mesalands Dinosaur Museum and Natural Science Laboratory will host National Fossil Day events from noon to 5 p.m. on Oct 12.
The following are the activities that have been scheduled for Stampede Week:
Monday – Branding Day
• For Branding Day, everyone is encouraged to wear Mesalands attire all day.
• The Mesalands Bookstore will be offering a 10-percent discount off of apparel and gift items. The bookstore is located in Building G.
Tuesday– Chili Cook Off Day
• Community residents are invited to bring a pot of chili and participate in a Chili Cook Off at noon in the Commons Area, located in Building A. There is no entry fee. Potential contestants may contact the Student Affairs Office at (575) 461-4413, ext. 153.
Oct. 9 – Concert
• The College will have a three band concert: Gabe Kubanda, Halocene, and
Eclipses for Eyes at 7 p.m., in the North American Wind Research and Training Center bay. Admission to the concert is free.
Oct. 10 – Meet the Stampede Day
• Mesalands has invited community residents to meet the members of
the Mesalands Rodeo Team and the coaches from 4-6 p.m. in the parking lot of Building A.
There will be free snacks and activities for all ages, including horse rides, the mechanical bull, and other activities.
• The community is encouraged to wear their “Stampede” apparel all day.
Oct. 11 – Rodeo
• Rodeo Performance will begin at 6 p.m., at the Quay County Rodeo Arena at the Fairgrounds. Tickets are $5 for adults and $2 for children and seniors 55 and over. Free admission for Mesalands students showing ID at the gate.
Oct. 12 – Rodeo
• Slack starts at 9 a.m., free admission
• Championship Performance is at 6 p.m. at the Quay County Rodeo Arena. Tickets are $5 for adults and $2 for children; seniors 55 and over. Free admission for Mesalands students showing their student ID at the gate.
• The Mesalands Community College’s Dinosaur Museum and Natural Science Laboratory, 222 East Laughlin Avenue, will celebrate National Fossil Day from noon-5 p.m. Admission to this event is free. There will be special lecture by Dr. Jeffery Martz, a STEM field researcher, at 1 p.m.