Local man arrested after police pursuit

Xcel Energy crews work to replace a power pole that was broken by the vehicle on the right that was being pursued by Tucumcari Police Oofficers Wednesday night in Tucumcari.

Xcel Energy crews work to replace a power pole that was broken by the vehicle on the right as it was being pursued by a Tucumcari Police Oofficer Wednesday night in Tucumcari.

By Thomas Garcia
QCS Senior Writer
A local man was arrested Wednesday night following a Tucumcari police chase that ended in a crash and a downed power pole.

Santiago Romero, 20, is charged with aggravated driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor, aggravated fleeing a law enforcement officer, criminal damage to property over $1,000, possession of an alcoholic beverage by a minor, open container and two charges of failure to stop or yield at an intersection.

At 9:30 p.m., Wednesday, officers responded to a 911 call reporting a fight on the corner of South Fifth Street and West Aber Avenue, said Jason Braziel, chief of police.

Braziel said upon arrival numerous subjects began to run from the area and Officer Abel Cullum engaged in a vehicle pursuit with a black Chevy Suburban fleeing the scene. He said the vehicle traveled south on South Fifth Street at a high rate of speed, failing to yield at stop signs and running the intersection at Route 66.

Braziel said after crossing Route 66 the driver, later identified as Romero, for reasons unknown lost control of the vehicle and struck a power pole at the corner of South Fifth Street and West Hines Avenue. He said the vehicle spun after the impact and came to rest next to Tucumcari Middle School.

Braziel said Romero fled the accident scene but was later located by officers and taken into custody.

There were no reports of power outages in Tucumcari submitted to Xcel Energy due the damage caused by the accident, said Wes Reeves, Xcel spokesman.

Reeves said Xcel crews are at the scene working to replace the damaged pole.

Braziel said Romero was transported to Dan C. Trigg Memorial Hospital for treatment of injuries and was later released. He said Romero was booked into the Quay County Detention Center.

He remains in QCDC on a $13,900 cash bond.

Speak Your Mind