Shooting results in death of juvenile

Police vehicles block the road in front of the residence where a shooting that claimed the life of 17-year old Patrick A. Gonzales Thursday in Tucumcari.

Police vehicles block the road in front of the residence where a shooting that claimed the life of 17-year old Patrick A. Gonzales Thursday in  Tucumcari.

By Thomas Garcia
QCS Senior Writer

The New Mexico State Police Investigations Bureau is continuing to investigate a shooting that claimed the life of 17-year-old Patrick A. Gonzales and injured another 15-year-old male Thursday in Tucumcari.

The family of Gonzales, a resident of Tucumcari and student of Tucumcari High School, confirmed with QCS staff Tuesday morning that he was the person fatally injured in the shooting.

“We still don’t have any answers,” said the victim’s mother, Debbie Montano.

“There have been so many rumors and stories going around that no one knows what to believe,” said Patrick Gonzales, father of the victim.

Montano said “five days have gone by and no officials have spoken to us about what happened.”

Police have released little information about the shooting since it was first reported at 4 p.m., Thursday on the 700 block of South Seventh Street.

“The investigation into this shooting is ongoing and witness statements, DNA and crime scene samples have been collected and is being reviewed by the investigators,” said Sgt. Elizabeth Armijo, NMSP public information officer.

Armijo said police have not yet made any arrests. She said details of the shooting can not be shared with the media, given that that the investigation is ongoing.

Tucumcari Police Department officers were dispatched to the 700 block of South Seventh Street, said Chief Jason Braziel, who said that that officers secured the scene as the victims were transported to Dan C. Trigg Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Armijo said one victim — identified later as Gonzales — succumbed to injuries and was pronounced dead at the hospital. She said the second victim, a 15-year-old male, who has yet to be identified by state police or family members, was airlifted to a hospital in Lubbock, Texas, for further treatment. The condition of the second victim has not been disclosed.

Armijo said officers with the investigation bureau took over the case. She did not state the reason for the state police taking the lead on the investigation.

Gonzales and Montano have elected not to speak about the details of the shooting that they have read on social media sites or news broadcasts.

“We don’t want speculations about what happened,” Gonzales said. “We want the facts and truth about what happened the day our son died.”

Armijo said the state police will continue to investigate this incident and will release information as it becomes available.

Speak Your Mind