Bikers, vendors and patrons of the 6th annual Mother Road Rally began gathering Friday afternoon for this year's festivities at the Quay County Fair grounds.
One of the first bikers in for the rally, Ken Fernandez, looked around the different vendors and visited with fellow bikers.
To kick off the first day, the National Guard Color Guard presented the U.S. flag and the state flag of New Mexico. They were followed by a performance and demonstration from the American Karate Studio of Tucumcari's Tae Kwon-Do Kids.
The rally is held on Father's Day weekend and draws crowds and vendors from all across the U.S.
Some are first-time participants.
"This is my first year coming to the rally," said Pat Fioretti, owner Choppers Roadhouse Grille.
Fioretti said he attends 20 events from June to December, each of them supporting Route 66.
Tom Ortiz, owner of Teez 2 Pleez, who is from Santa Fe, said he is excited about attending the rally for the first time.
Cyndi Cain of Amarillo and Michael Johnson of Carlsbad have been coming to the rally since its start.
"I enjoy coming to this rally every year," Johnson said.
"It is all about Route 66," said Cain, owner of Cowboy Taters of Texas. "We want to do all we can to help keep 66 alive."
Today's events include:
• 9 a.m.: Kick Off Parade
Bikes and cars in the parade must meet at K-mart parking lot by 8:45 a.m.
• All Day: Live entertainment by Fun Brothers, vendors and door prizes,
• Car and Bike Show: Hosted by Pure Elegance Car Club. Categories for everyone, including Classics, lowriders, Sport Trucks, 4X4’s, choppers, custom bikes, metrics, custom bicycles. Prizes for best paint, best engine and best of show. Entry Fees for Car and Bike Show: $15 Car, $10 Bike, Kids free with bicycle.
• 10 a.m.: Poker Run Starts, last bike in at 2 p.m.
• 3 p.m.: Biker games, followed by Cash Raffle
• 7 p.m.: Entertainment featuring Double Shot and Sorela. Tickets: $20
For more information visit motherroadrally.com or call (575) 461-8488 or (575) 461-3711.