The Quay County Commission approved a open fire ban which will be effective 8 a.m. Tuesday.
The commission approved the resolution on the recommendation of Donald Adams, Quay County Fire Marshal, at its Monday meeting.
The resolution says the county is joining other Eastern New Mexico and West Texas counties in the ban and that current drought indices and predictions for drought conditions indicate it is in the best interests of the residents. "The county-wide ban (is) on any outdoor open flame, with the exception of propane and charcoal barbecue grills with covers," according to the resolution.
A fire last week on Highway 104 north of Tucumcari is a prime example of the dry, and drought-like conditions in Quay County.
Adams, said that Rural 1, 2 and the Tucumcari Fire department responded to the fire. They received additional help from the Arch Hurley Conservancy District.
"My compliments go out to the fire departments for their quick response to the fire on 104," said Commissioner Robert Lopez.
"Arch Hurley helped us out a great deal by dumping close to 15,000 gallons of water on that fire," Adams said. "The conditions in Quay County could have easily led to that fire on 104 growing out of control."