Burn victim in process of recovering
Published: Tuesday, December 21st, 2004
John and Vicki Frost, of Tucumcari, said their two-year-old granddaughter Callie Rae Frost is recovering after she was seriously burned Dec. 6 on the entire left side of her head and face, her chest, neck and arms. The young girl was watching her mother fry sopapillas in hot oil inside their home in Farmington when tragedy struck. “Callie Rae tried to hand her mother Bobbi a plastic grocery bag,” said Vicki Frost. “The handle of the skillet got caught in the bag and the skillet turned over on Callie Rae.” “There was a lot of hot oil in the skillet,” said John Frost. “Callie Rae was taken to the hospital in Farmington then transported to University Hospital in Albuquerque that same evening. She has since been transported by medevac to the Shriner’s Hospital burn unit in Galveston where doctors say she is doing better.” Callie Rae’s mother, Bobbi, suffered burns on her leg as well, but the Frosts said she had only her daughter’s welfare in mind over the past days. “Naturally, as a mother she has been quite distraught,” said Vicki Frost “The only thing she’s thought of was her baby. We were trying to get her to take care of herself as well.” John Frost said he called the girl’s father, John Ed Frost, as he was racing to the Farmington hospital to see his daughter shortly after hearing of the accident. “He was worried sick,” said Frost. “They are both super parents. They are learning how to take care of Callie Rae. They will do a good job.” “The doctors are teaching them how to change Callie Rae’s dressings,” said Frost. “When the medical personnel change the dressings, Callie Rae always cries, but they simply tell her that it is perfectly okay to cry, but they have to change the dressings. She lets them change the dressings.” Frost said his granddaughter is expected to make good recovery, but doctors said skin grafts could be done in the future. “Doctors are saying that she might be able to go home by Christmas, but the family will have to return to Galveston periodically,” he said. “They said it will require at least six months of visits to Galveston.” Frost said Callie Rae suffered no internal injuries and spends her days at the burn unit interacting with other young burn victims. “They watch cartoons, and people pull Callie Rae around in a little red wagon,” said Frost. “Some of those children are burned so bad you can’t describe how bad they are burned.” Callie Rae’s pain has subsided enough so that morphine is no longer required and the Frosts said doctors are hopeful there will be no lasting disfigurement. “It hurts when they change her dressings and occasionally she’ll touch the left side of her face and let out a scream,” said Frost. “The family, overall, is optimistic. All the medical personnel at Albuquerque and in Galveston have been super.” Frost said Callie Rae’s first reaction to being burned was to tell her mother she was sorry. For those who wish to send correspondence to Callie Rae and her parents, mail can be addressed to John L and Vicki Frost, 2720 S. Tenth Street Tucumcari, NM 88401. Also, a fund has been set up at First National Bank of New Mexico. Callie Rae’s biological grandmother, Martha Frost, is also a Tucumcari resident and John Ed Frost is a former San Jon High School student.
Click Here To See More Stories Like This