4 p.m. — West Las Vegas (H) vs. Artesia (boys)
5:30 p.m. — Pojoaque vs. Portales (girls)
7:30 p.m. — Pojoaque vs. Portales (boys)
3 p.m. — Clovis vs. Pojoaque (girls)
4:30 p.m. — Pojoaque vs. Artesia (boys)
6 p.m. — West Las Vegas vs. Portales (boys)
7:30 p.m. — West Las Vegas vs. Portales (girls)
West Las Vegas Dons
• Record: 4-6
• Last time out: Lost to Class 4A Bernalillo 87-75.
• Notes: “West Las Vegas had a couple of losses before the Christmas break,” Portales coach Mark Gallegos said. “One of their guards is coming back from an injury. They have a good mixture of size and they can get up and down the floor.”
• Record: 7-5
• Notes: Senior Luke Salazar is leading scorer for the Elks. Senior Brian Montoya is also a player to watch. The Rams beat Pojoaque 47-36 in the state semifinals in 2005. ... “We got to scout them a while ago at the Stu Clark tournament,” Gallegos said of the Elks. “They’re a lot like us. They play an up-tempo game, but if they have to they can play a half-court game because they are not just a guard-oriented team.”
• Record: 6-4
• Last time out: Beat Portales 70-63 Tuesday.
• Notes: The Bulldogs are led by senior Koby Caton, sophomore Ty Anderson and senior Chris Gomez. Caton scored 16 of his 21 points in the second half in Tuesday’s win.
• Record: 5-3
• Last time out: Lost to Artesia 70-63 Tuesday.
• Notes: The Rams have lost two straight.
West Las Vegas Dons
• Record: 10-1
• Last time out: beat Pojoaque 51-48 Wednesday.
• Notes: West Las Vegas brings a five-game win into the tournament. Senior guard Miranda Martinez is the team’s leading scorer. She has been a starter since she was a freshman.
“They pressure more than other teams and run some zone 1-3-1 defense because they are really big,” Portales coach Clay Stout said. “They’ve got good guard play and have some skill players.”
• Record: 7-4
• Last time out: Lost to West Las Vegas 51-48 Wednesday.
• Notes: The Elkettes beat Portales in the Class 3A title game in 2009. “They have some good players,” Stout said. “Sophomore guard Cheyenne Cordova is their leading scorer and is very quick. Senior Audrey Smith is good outside power forward and senior Elizabeth Gomez is a tall kid who is a strong rebounder that gives them the edge.”
Clovis Lady Wildcats
• Record: 8-5
• Last time out: Lost to Amarillo 48-41 Tuesday.
• Notes: Senior post Ashlee Pierson, junior post Paige Gardner and junior wing Kirsti Shough are the Lady Wildcats’ leading scorers.
Portales Lady Rams
• Record: 8-4
• Last time out: Beat Whitharral 44-18 Saturday in the championship game of the Wildcat Classic in Littlefield, Texas.
• Notes: Junior Macy Mitchell and senior Gabby Garcia lead the team in scoring. “This tournament gives us a chance to see how these teams play,” Stout said about being prepared for matching up against teams at state. “I think that is what is good about.”
— Compiled by Clarence Plank