• 2010 record: 12-16
• Coach: Wes Weems, 1st year
• District: 2-B
• Last state appearance: 2010, lost to Dora in a Class 1A first-round game
• State titles: none
• Top returning players: Kevin Naceanceno, F, 5-10, Jr.; Kendall Naceanceno, G, 5-7, Fr.; Kenny Duong, F/P, 5-9, Jr.
• Top newcomers: Dalton Hardy, P, 6-2, Fr.; Tyler Steele, P, 5-10, So.; McKenna Sealey, G, 5-7, So. Sealey is a transfer from Grady and will become eligible on Jan. 15.
• Outlook: After winning the state 6-man football championship in November, the Eagles are finding the transition to basketball a bit tough. “We’re real young and kind of behind on some things,” Weems said. “But they’re (players) learning fast. Maybe as the season progresses, we’ll be more in the mix.”
• Litmus test: The Eagles were thumped by Fort Sumner 91-24 on Monday in what Weems thought would be a measuring stick. Another one comes during the EPAC tournament, scheduled to begin on Jan. 4 at Texico.
• Of note: The team has only one senior, forward Mike Root. … Weems, who was an assistant coach in football and baseball last year at Clovis High, has previously coached basketball at Bovina, Fort Sumner and House.
• New look: The Eagles are in the newly- formed Class B, which is one step below Class 1A in enrollment. Their five-team district also includes Grady, Elida, Roy and San Jon. District play for CCS begins on Jan. 27 at Roy.
— Compiled by Dave Wagner
A TALL TALE
We're asking the tallest player on each team we profile a few questions.w Grade: Freshman
• Position: Post
• Height: 6 feet, 2 inches
• Favorite basketball player: LeBron James
• Favorite class: History
• Favorite food stop on road trips ... McDonald’s
• Song you can’t help singing along with ... “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano
• Favorite bad-for-me food .... Spaghetti and clams
• In 10 years I hope to be ..... a marine biologist
• Funniest teammate(s) ... Daniel Graham
• Something people might not know about me is .... I was born in Germany. My family moved to Florida at age 2 and to Clovis on June 8.
• The biggest disadvantage of being tall is .... Being uncoordinated. I’ve grown 8 inches since the sixth grade.