• 2010 record: 12-10
• Coach: Matt Moyer, 3rd year
• Last state appearance: 2009, lost to Cimarron in quarterfinals
• State titles: 2005, 1997, 1996, 1979, 1977.
• Top returning players: Sarah Stinnett, SG, Sr., 5-3; LaNay Crenshaw, PG, So., 5-4; Ashley Stinnett, SG, Sr., 5-1, Sr.; Masy Miller, F, Sr., 5-7.
• Top newcomers: Ashley Landreth, P, So., 5-8; Candi Jo Webb, P, Jr., 5-9; G.A. Tucker, F/G, Jr., 5-7.
• Outlook: The Vixens have started the season 7-1, with their only loss to unbeaten Texico (39-38) in the finals of a tournament in Dimmitt, Texas. Senior G Sarah Stinnett is a four-year starter for the Vixens, who missed out on the state playoffs last season. “She plays with a lot of intensity and is the team leader,” Moyer said. “She’s a decent outside shooter, but she’s at her best when she takes it to the hole.”
Speedy sophomore LaNay Crenshaw and senior Ashley Stinnett — a top defender — round out a solid backcourt.
Ashley Landreth, a 5-8 sophomore, and Candi Jo Webb, a 5-9 junior, lead the way inside for the Vixens. Moyer said Landreth could be a force on the offensive boards with her strength and jumping ability while Webb figures to be a strong defender.
The Vixens want to play up-tempo, which is a perfect fit for junior newcomer G.A. Tucker, a transfer from Kansas. “She really sees the floor well and is a good 3-point shooter,” Moyer said.
“We want to push the ball hard. We don’t want to let the defense set up.” Moyer said. “We might miss some shots, but I want us to be relentless.”
— Compiled by Rick White