• 2009-10 record: 8-15
• Coach: Darrell Chenault, 11th year.
• District: 2-1B
• Last state appearance: 2008, lost to Dora in the semifinals.
• State titles: None.
• Top returning players: Alex Varela, PG, 5-10, Sr.; Orrie Spinks, SF, 6-2, Sr.; Magin Montoya, SG, 5-10, Sr.; Jordyn Tivis, P, 6-3, Sr.
• Top newcomers: Tayler Boone, F, 6-3, So.; Justus Criswell, F, 6-2, Jr.; Laneith Veo-Chenault, PG, 5-8, Fr.; Nathan Salas, PG, 5-6, So.
• Outlook: Elida coach Darrell Chenault said seniors Alex Varela, Orrie Spinks, Magin Montoya and Jordyn Tivis are the returning starters from last season.
“All four seniors have experience playing on the court,” Chenault said.
Freshman Laneith Veo-Chenault, junior Justus Criswell and sophomore Tayler Boone are all three are vying for the fifth through seventh spots on the roster and possible starters, Coach Chenault said.
He said all three are good athletes and like to compete.
“Junior forward Randy (Jasso) is going to be helping us work on the inside and underneath,” Chenault said. “He’s not tall (5-9), but he’s a strong player underneath for the team.
Nathan Salas, a 5-6 junior transfer from Portales, is learning the system and could see more playing time as the season progresses, Chenault said.
Chenault said the team is excited about playing in District 2-1B, which includes Clovis Christian, Grady, San Jon and Roy.
“We hold our standards high in Elida and our first goal is to try and win our district,” Chenault said. “It will be tough, but that is our goal.”
— Compiled by Clarence Plank