• 2009-10 record: 9-18
• Coach: Ty Thatcher, 13th year.
• District: 8-1A
• Last state appearance: 2009, lost to Springer in semifinals.
• State titles: 2003, 1970.
• Top returning players: Kyler King, F, 6-0, Jr.; Michael Puebla, G, 5-11, Sr.; Ishmail Machado, F, 6-3, Sr.; Dylan Privett, F, 6-4, Fr.; Jacob Arzola, G, 5-6, Sr.; Colton Gruis, F, 6-1, Jr.; Chase Varnell, F, 6-1, Jr.; Alexis Villanueva, G, 5-7, Sr.; Jake Tayler, G, 6-0, So.
• Top newcomers: Tyler Sites, G, 5-7, So.; Logan Bilberry, P, 6-1, Jr.
• Outlook: Do-it-all junior forward Kyler King leads a strong returning cast as the Coyotes hope to bounce back from a losing season.
“He can move from point-to-point on the floor and that makes him hard to scout by an opposing team,” said Dora coach Ty Thatcher, who led Dora to a state title in 2003. “He plays with his back to the basket, and if you put the ball in his hands, he can shoot the ball pretty well.”
Senior Michael Puebla will lead the backcourt and 6-3 senior P Ishmail Machado has gotten a lot stronger, said Thatcher.
“Dylan Privett is a freshman who has slimmed down to become a solid player,” Thatcher said. “Very seldom do we have a freshman who has a year of varsity experience on the team.”
Jacob Arzola, Colton Gruis, Chase Varnell, Alexis Villanueva and Jake Tayler all played last season while a pair of Portales transfers, sophomore G Tyler Sites and junior P Logan Bilberry, add more depth.
“I think we have some maturity and experience that we were lacking last season,” Thatcher said. “Hopefully we can have what it take to win those close games and learn how to finish games out.”
— Compiled by Clarence Plank