• 2009-10 record: 23-9
• Coach: Dan Howard, 11th year.
• District: 2-B
• Last state appearance: 2008, semifinals
• State titles: 1995, 1980.
• Returning players: Reavis Best, G, 5-8, Sr.; Margarita Ortiz, G, 4-9, Sr.; Amanda Cross-Smith, P, 5-8, Sr.; Kaylee Tibbs, G, 5-3, Jr.; Reda Allison, G, 5-8, So.; Shealton Veo-Chenault, G, 5-7, So.; Hunter Haley, G, 5-4, Fr.; Alanna Cross-Smith, P, 5-3, Fr.; Kaylen Jasso, P, 5-11, Fr.; Justine Robert, G, 5-3, Jr.; Raeona Sanders, G, 5-3, Fr.; Marily Varela, G, 5-4, 8th.
• Outlook: Veteran Tigers coach Dan Howard will rely on seniors Reavis Best, Margarita Ortiz and forward Amanda Cross-Smith as Elida bids to return to the state playoffs after a two-year absence. Best signed a national letter of intent last month to play at Eastern New Mexico University.
“Amanda Cross-Smith, Reda Allison and Kaylen Jasso play in the post position for me,” Howard said. “Reavis, Shealton Veo-Chenault and Margarita Ortiz, I used them as my guards at times.”
Junior Kaylee Tibbs, freshman Hunter Haley, freshman Raeone Sanders, eighth-grader Marily Varela add depth.
• Of note: Elida is moving into a new district with Grady, San Jon, Roy and Clovis Christian. Grady is the preseason No. 1 in Class B, Elida is second and San Jon fourth.
“I don’t know much about Roy,” Howard said. “San Jon we only see maybe at EPAC (the Eastern Plains Athletic Conference Tournament in January) usually, but as far as the teams on the west side of the state, I don’t know.”
• Litmus test: Howard said the EPAC tournament is where they’ll be able to tell where they are at.
— Compiled by Clarence Plank