• Sophomore guards Jordyn and Jaylyn Cooper each scored 15 points and the Texico Lady Wolverines handed top-ranked and previously unbeaten Santa Rosa a 61-40 on Saturday at Texico.
The Lady Wolverines (16-5, 3-0 district) rolled to a 21-10 first-quarter lead and were never threatened, although the Lady Lions (21-1, 2-1) outscored them 18-9 in the third quarter to pare a 22-point halftime deficit.
Jordyn Cooper had three of Texico’s five 3-pointers, and Jaylyn Cooper had one. Senior forward Katlin Luscombe added 11 points.
Senior posts Renae Roybal and Samantha Powers had 10 points each for the Lady Lions.
• At Elida, the host Lady Tigers built a 22-point, third-quarter lead but had to hang on a bit down the stretch to turn back Grady 55-50 in non-district play.
Junior Reavis Best scored 19 points and junior Margarita Ortiz added 11 for Elida (14-7). Junior Mandy Rush led the Lady Bronchos (12-9) with 19 points, while senior Skylar Starbuck added 10.
• A scheduled District 4-1A game at House went to Clovis Christian by forfeit. CCS coach Max Kralicek said the winless Cowgirls were only able to field four players on Saturday.
• Senior guard Robert Serrano scored 15 points and senior senior Joaquin Bachicha added 11 as Santa Rosa rallied in the fourth quarter to beat Texico 43-40 in a District 6-2A matchup at Texico.
The Wolverines (19-2, 2-1) were coming off an overtime win on Friday at Clayton, but couldn’t muster enough energy to subdue the Lions (12-5, 3-0), ranked fifth in Class 2A.
Texico, ranked third, got 21 points from senior forward Seth Bailey, including 11-of-13 free throws, and 13 points from junior center Lucas Walthers.
• At Elida, the Grady Bronchos built a 12-point halftime lead and had just enough to hold off the Tigers 47-46 in a non-district clash.
Senior guards Jarod Allen and Dalton Thomas led the Bronchos (4-16) with 14 and 11 points, respectively, while senior post Kody Paiz led all scorers with 28 for Elida (6-12).