Farwell sophomore Laura Martinez tries to maneuver past Sudan’s Desiree King during Tuesday’s District 5-1A girls matchup at Farwell.
FARWELL — Farwell’s girls have come a long ways this season, but they’re still struggling to overtake Sudan.
The Hornettes went on an 18-5 second-quarter run Tuesday night to beat Farwell 47-30 and lock up the District 5-1A title. Jacey Davison led Sudan (27-4, 10-0) with 16 points.
Still, the Lady Blue (22-8, 8-2) had already locked up second place in the district and will play a first-round Class 1A playoff game next Tuesday against Sunray, likely in Amarillo, coach Gary Lewis said.
“Our girls played hard,” Lewis said. “We didn’t shoot the ball well. Of course, some of it was Sudan’s defense.”
Farwell trailed just 10-7 at the quarter, but found itself staring at a 16-point deficit by halftime.
“Whenever they get that big a lead on us, it’s just hard to come back,” Lewis said. “People talk a lot about their offensive weapons, but they just play good defense.”
Sophomore guard Laura Martinez was Farwell’s high scorer with eight points.
In other area girls games:
* Muleshoe kept its hopes alive for a District 2-2A with a 52-49 win at Friona, pulling into a tie for the third and final berth with the Squaws (15-12, 7-5) and Tulia (17-10, 7-5). Cholov Hernandez scored 12 points and Sarah Johnson 11 for the Lady Mules (13-16, 7-5), while Hollis Gurley topped Friona with 13.
* Melrose gave District 3-1A leader Elida all it wanted before falling 49-43 at Melrose. Britnie Powell paced the Lady Tigers (17-3, 4-0) with 16 points, while TaNeil Roberts paced Melrose with 14.
* Texico opened District 2-1A play at home with a 60-38 win over Clayton, pulling away from a five-point halftime lead. Senior Brooke Bailey scored 16 points for the Lady Wolverines (18-1, 1-0), followed by Faith Martin (12) and Bryn Mayfield (11).
* Jennifer Schaap poured in 28 points to help Clovis Christian win a non-district game at Hart 56-49. The Lady Eagles (9-12) erased a five-point deficit by outscoring the Lady Longhorns 20-8 in the final period.
Samantha Manchaca and Amber Guzman scored 13 points each for Hart (9-15).
* In another non-district game, host Fort Sumner (10-10) rode 13 points from Sarah Stinnett and 12 from Racheal Chavez to a 46-33 victory over Grady. Katarina Grau led the Lady Bronchos (13-8) with 11 points.
* In District 5-1A, Springlake-Earth scored 22 points in each of the first two quarters to beat Bovina 67-26. Ruby Vela had two 3-pointers and 11 points for the Fillies (5-21, 1-9).