Meetings watch - Feb. 15
February 15, 2017 | View PDF
Quay County Commission
The following were actions taken by commissioners at the Quay County Commission on Monday:
• Appointed three members to the Quay County Board of Registration
to help the city clerk with voter registration. The three are Republicans Christina
Wilson and Evelyn Hayes and Democrat Nelda Burson.
• Approved applications for volunteer firefighters to join the
Public Employees Retirement Association, which provides retirement benefits
for volunteer firefighters, along with other New Mexico public employees.
• Discussed low turnouts in recent school board elections in the
county and whether a bill that would combine non-partisan elections in
odd-numbered years could improve turnouts.
• Asked County Manager Richard Primrose to hold off on choosing from
offers to refurbish restrooms at the Quay County Fair Barn to accommodate
the Americans with Disabilities Act. Commissioners asked for the delay to
allow local businesses an opportunity to submit bids.
• Decided to look into equipping the county clerk's office to
produce electronic "packets" of documents for commission meetings. The
packets generally contain documents that support items on the agenda.
Electronic packets could be made available to the public and would make
documents easier to store and classify, commissioners said.
• Heard a proposal from Commissioner Sue Dowell that the county
update its website to make it easier to navigate and make a positive
impression for the county.
— Compiled by QCS Correspondent Steve Hansen