Local philanthropic chapter marks 100 years
March 15, 2017 | View PDF
Chapter D of the Philanthropic Educational Organization of Tucumcari celebrated its 100th birthday on Feb. 25 with a tea party at the Tucumcari Convention Center.
It was attended by local members, as well as New Mexico past state presidents, current state officers and guests from several area chapters.
The P. E. O. is an international organization promoting higher education for women and was founded in 1862 by seven students in Mount Pleasant, Iowa.
A program on the history of Tucumcari's eleven founders was given during the party. The local Chapter began on Feb. 22, 1917, when the town of Tucumcari was only 8 years old.
It is the goal of the chapter to continue to foster educational opportunities for local women, according to its members. Chapter D has sponsored several women who have received scholarships to further their education.