July 9 Police Blotter

The following is a sampling of calls received recently by Tucumcari police. According to the reports: Monday • At 12:17 a.m., loud music and fireworks were reported on South Second Street. Officers informed individuals to keep the music down and put the fireworks out. • At 1:24 p.m., a breaking and entering was reported on […]

New fire marsal hired

By William Thompson: Quay County Sun Fire chiefs from nine fire departments in Quay County elected a first-ever Quay County Fire Marshal on Tuesday. Donald Adams, fire chief for the Bard-Endee fire district, is the new fire marshal and he said he looks forward to helping county fire departments keep up with paperwork and regulations. […]

Fire destroys area home

1109138262-2_23-fire.jpg

By Tova Fruchtman: Quay County Sun At 1:57 a.m. Saturday members of the Tucumcari volunteer fire department received pages — a mobile home on Harmon Street was on fire. Minutes later, two fire trucks, two fire department vehicles, an ambulance and two police cars arrived in front of the home. Neighbors had noticed the blaze […]

Federal grant helps area fire department get new equipment

Members of the House Fire Department will finally have the funds to get some much needed equipment. The fire department found out Wednesday night they will be receiving a federal grant worth $90,828. House Fire Chief Mike Morrow said the money will be used to purchase new equipment. “The first thing we are going to […]

Cielo behavior after turbine fire unneighborly

When a wind turbine caught fire Sunday on the Caprock southeast of Tucumcari, volunteer firefighters rushed to put it out. Now officials with Cielo Wind Power Inc. seem to be threatening legal action against one of those volunteers if he distributes pictures of what he saw. Nice neighbors, huh? Richard Flint of San Jon said […]

Falling turbine blade causes fire

TV Hagenah SAN JON – On Sunday, Jan. 2, a 100-foot-long wind-turbine blade fell from one of the 220 foot tall turbines located on the caprock to the ground striking an electrical transformer which in turn ignited non-toxic mineral oil used as insulation for the turbine causing a blaze at the base of the tower.. […]

Tucumcari Fire Chief warns of fire dangers

TV Hagenah Tucumcari Fire Chief Mike Cherry said Friday that the holidays are a wonderful time but he added that they can also be dangerous because of the extra threats of fires during the holiday season. “We don’t want to frighten people,” said Cherry, “but the Christmas trees and for that matter the season in […]

Altrusa makes donations

ALTRUSA International of Tucumcari recently made two philanthropic donation. On May 24 they donated $1,700 to Presbyterian-Trigg Hospital for lighting and baby furniture on that same day they also donated $600 to the City of Tucumcari Fire and EMS for a portable suction unit.

Forrest Fire Department to acquire new fire truck

TV Hagenah FORREST – The Forrest Volunteer Fire Department are not crazy about Forrest fire puns, but they are even less fond of Forrest fires. That is one of the big reason they are getting another fire truck. “We’re glad we’re getting a new truck,” said the Forrest Fire Chief David Rush Tuesday. “Our equipment […]

Logan relaxes fire ban

Elaine Quarles At their regular meeting, July 13, the Village of Logan Council lifted the fire ban that became official June 1. According to the council, one reason for rescinding the ban was the recent rains, but there was another issue. “It was an enforcement nightmare,” said Larry Wallin, Village Administrator for Logan. Wallin said […]