Quay County Sun - Serving the High Plains

Water line expansion approved

 

December 14, 2016



The Tucumcari City Commission cleared the way Thursday for a new “cell” at the city’s landfill and part of a water line that will allow business expansion at Interstate 40 and Mountain Road.

The commission named Sierra Valley Contractors, LLC, of Truth or Consequences to build the new section for the landfill. Sierra Valley was the low bidder with a price of $429,210, according to the bid summary submitted by project engineer Gordon Environmental PSC.

City Manager Jared Langenegger said the project should be completed by March or April 2017, when the second cell of the landfill — which is currently in use — reaches capacity.

The commission also approved a bid of $53,000 from Occam Engineering to design a stretch of new 10-inch water line between Rock Island Street and Mountain Road, which will connect to a stretch of 10-inch line being built from the Flying J Travel Center at Mountain Road and I-40 to a point north of Historic Route 66 along Mountain Road.

The 10-inch water lines will replace 6-inch lines currently in use and allow capacity for the new Fairfield Inn under construction next to Flying J and accommodate additional business development in that area, Langenegger said.

Tucumcari Municipal Airport will also have more runway space in about 60 days, after the commission approved a bid from R.L. Reeder, a Santa Fe paving contractor, to construct the runway. The successful bid was for a little more than $350,000, with the Federal Aviation Administration picking up 90 percent of the tab. The other 10 percent, about $35,000, will be split between the New Mexico Department of Transportation and the city, said Ralph Lopez, a city community development project manager.

The commission also approved a $10,000 reduction in contract services from the state Non-Metro Area Agency on Aging for operation of the Tucumcari Senior Center.

Mary Ann Dominguez, director of the senior center, said the reduction was necessary due to state budget cuts. The contract was reduced from $230,310 to $219,598.

The Tucumcari Police Department received authorization to seek grants from state anti-Driving While Intoxicated funds. One is for $5,618 to fund saturation patrols during the 100 Days of Summer, ENDWI and the Buckle-Up campaign. The other is for $1,166 for public information and education about DWI programs.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018