Calendar - Aug. 7
August 7, 2019
• Wednesday — Tucumcari Elementary School registration. Register your children for school at the Tucumcari Elementary School gym from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The school-supply list includes Clorox wipes, facial tissues, hand sanitizer, dry-erase markers and backpacks. 1701 S. Ninth St., Tucumcari.
• Monday, Tuesday and Aug. 15 — Got Shots? immunization clinic. The New Mexico Department of Health will host a back-to-school immunization clinic from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (which this week includes lunch hour from noon to 1 p.m.). The immunization clinic is open to the public, and immunizations will be administered at no cost. Parents should bring a copy of their child’s shots record and their insurance card, including Medicaid, with them. Children need to be up-to-date on their immunizations to enroll in school each year. For questions about the back-to-school immunization clinic or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Quay County Public Health Office at (575) 461-2610. For a listing of other clinics, visit http://www.immunizenm.org. 310 S. Second St., Tucumcari.
• Thursday — Ag Science Center Field Day. Join the staff at the Agricultural Science Center for a full afternoon of presentations, food, wagon tours and education concerning agriculture in Quay County and New Mexico. Call the Ag Science Center for more information at (575) 461-1620. 4:30 to 9 p.m., NMSU Agricultural Science Center, 6502 Quay Road Am.5, Tucumcari.
• Saturday — “Honoring Military History.” The Tucumcari Historical Museum is hosting a celebration of the military and veterans, including a color guard by Cannon Air Force Base. There will be special guest speakers and fun for everyone, along with hot dogs and homemade ice cream. 416 S. Adams St.
• Aug. 14-18 — Quay County Fair. Home Arts entries are from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday and from 8 to 10 a.m. Wednesday. Exhibits open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day. Bibles & Burritos will be at 8 a.m. each morning. Junior Livestock shows are scheduled each evening, with the sale starting at 6 p.m. Saturday. Sun Valley Rides Carnival begins at 5 p.m. daily. Presale all-you-can-ride tickets will be $18 (must be purchased before fair). Quay County fairgrounds, Tucumcari.
• Aug. 19 — Quay County Democratic Party meeting. The organization meets the third Monday of each month at noon at the Pow Wow Restaurant meeting room. Meetings are open to the public, and it encourages anyone who is interested to join. Pow Wow Restaurant, 801 W. Route 66, Tucumcari.
• Aug. 20 — Republican Party of Quay County meeting. Meetings fall on the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the Quality Inn in Tucumcari. 3716 E. Tucumcari Blvd., Tucumcari.
• Sept. 28 — Wheels on Fire 100. An endurance bicycle event hosted in Tucumcari will go through San Jon, Grady and Ragland. Join in whether you’re competitive or just out for adventure. Cost is $45 to $65. Riding begins at 8 a.m. Register at https://www.bikereg.com/wheels-on-fire-100 . Tucumcari Convention Center.
• Sept. 28 — Fired Up 2019. An all-day festival by Tucumcari MainStreet features live music, artisans, car show, children’s activities, glass blowing, Prince Tocum and Princess Kari, food booths and a fireworks display to close the night. Schedule is at https://tucumcarimainstreet.wildapricot.org/Fired-Up/ Tucumcari downtown railroad park.
• Oct. 11-12 — 12th annual Mesalands Community College Grand Canyon Region Intercollegiate Fall Rodeo. The first day of the rodeo begins at 6 p.m. Friday. Slack performances will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday with the championship performances later that day at 6 p.m. Quay County Fairgrounds, Tucumcari.
• Nov. 23 — Christmas Raffle Dinner and Dance. Christmas might come a little early if you win the Christmas raffle by the Tucumcari Columbus Club. Tickets are $50 per person for dinner and dancing; they are available from any Knights of Columbus member. The grand prize is $5,000 in cash, with eight other cash-prize drawings. The event runs from 6 p.m. to midnight. Tucumcari Convention Center.
To submit items for the calendar, call 575-461-1952 or email: [email protected]