Tucumcari school board approves resolutions for school year
April 24, 2019
The Tucumcari school board approved several resolutions for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year, including setting pay levels, an operating budget and the school calendar.
In general, teachers, office workers and other staff will receive a 6% increase in pay for the coming year — fueled by the state’s recent budget plan that provides 16% more money for public schools.
With a minimum 6% pay increase, Tucumcari’s Level I certified staff would receive a minimum of $41,000 a year; Level II, $50,000; and Level III, $60,000.
Occupational therapists, social workers, speech therapists, instructional assistants, office personnel, custodians, nurses and maintenance also would receive a minimum 6% hike.
Transportation workers and substitute teachers also would receive a 6% raise, plus an increase in hourly pay to reflect a raise in the minimum wage.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the school calendar for 2019-2020. The first day of school would be Aug. 19, with graduation May 22, 2020. Assistant Superintendent David Johnson said the calendar is similar to the previous year. Homecoming is Oct. 4, Christmas break is Dec. 23 to Jan. 3, and spring break is March 23-27.
• Passed a resolution to offer health insurance for employees who work 15 to 20 hours per week.
• Accepted donations of two coolers from Ace Hardware in Tucumcari to be used for the high school’s baseball team; $21.50 from Allgoods LLC for district athletic programs; and $1,440 to the high school’s FFA program from the Tucumcari FFA alumni and supporters to be used for state Career Development Events expenses.
• Authorized the redemption of a portion of Series 2007 bonds. Superintendent Aaron McKinney said retiring $200,000 in debt would allow the district to be eligible for more bonds later in the year.
• Approved an operating budget for the 2019-2020 fiscal year, with the option to make changes with alterations from state funding.