Calendar - Aug. 10
August 10, 2022
Note: Events subject to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Wednesday-Saturday — Quay County Fair. Livestock shows will run daily, and home-arts entries will be accepted from 8 a.m. to noon on Aug. 10. Children’s events on Saturday include the Itty Bitty Rodeo, pet parade and quarter toss. Area clubs will cook hamburgers, hot dogs and baked potatoes at the concession stand. Quay County Fairgrounds, Tucumcari.
• Saturday — Meet the Republican Candidates. The Pow Wow restaurant is hoping a pancake breakfast sponsored by the Quay County Republican Party from 8 to 10 a.m., with take-out orders welcome. Prices for the meal are $10, with children 12 and under $7. Among those in attendance will be gubernatorial candidate Mark Ronchetti, along with local GOP hopefuls.
• Aug. 16 — The Great Tucumcari Paper Airplane Contest. This contest from 9 a.m. to noon is free to the public and will take place in the main hangar of the North American Wind Research and Training Center of Mesalands Community College. The college will provide the paper and offer up to $50 in gift cards as prizes.
• Aug. 27 — Down at the Depot. This event will feature live music, food trucks and arts and crafts booths in the Tucumcari Historic Railroad Depot near Second and Main streets. Festivities begin at 4 p.m.
• Sept. 17 — Free Museum Day. Take part in free admission at the Mesalands Dinosaur Museum, Tucumcari Railroad Museum, Tucumcari Historical Museum and New Mexico Route 66 Museum, all in Tucumcari, from 1 to 4 p.m.
• Sept. 17 — Tucumcari Rotary Club Golf Tournament. Proceeds from this event at Tucumcari Municipal Golf Course will fund Rotary scholarships for local high-school students. Sponsorship slots are available, and ball-drop tickets will go on sale soon. Registration will be set up soon. First tee time is scheduled for 10 a.m. For more information, go to https://rotary5520.org/clubinfo/tucumcari.
• Sept. 24 — Fired Up festival. The free annual event will feature art and food booths, fiery entertainment by Odd Lab, car show, fireworks, Prince Tocum and Princess Kari contest and more at the Tucumcari Historic Railroad Plaza near Second and Main streets from 4 to 9 p.m.
• Oct. 1 — Free Fun Run. Participate in a 5-kilometer run or walk from Kvols Park in Tucumcari. Registration begins at the park at 7:30 a.m., with the starting gun at 8 a.m.
To submit items for the calendar, call 575-461-1952 or email [email protected]