Logan's Stoner voted district Player of Year
May 17, 2023
Logan's Class 1A runner-up baseball team boasted six all-district players this season, including the Player of the Year.
Longhorns junior pitcher and shortstop Kaeden Stoner received District 1A-3's top honor.
He sported a 5-1 record with an 0.95 ERA with 86 strikeouts in 44 2/3 innings. As a hitter, Stoner batted .455 with 19 RBI and a team-high 44 runs scored.
Other first-team honorees for Logan were:
- Senior catcher and pitcher Park Strong, who hit .565 and drove in runs. As a pitcher, he posted a 1.24 ERA with 21 strikeouts in 17 innings. He led the team in slugging average, doubles and triples.
- Junior pitcher and shortstop Brock Burns, who hit .415, totaled 26 RBI and scored 34 runs. As the team's No. 2 pitcher, Burns had a 2.94 ERA with 65 strikeouts in 31 innings.
- Freshman first baseman Mason Wallin, who led the team in batting average (.615) and RBI (47).
- Freshman outfielder Aydin Kotara, who hit .462 with 42 runs scored, 26 RBI and a team-high 29 stolen bases.
- Sophomore outfielder Diego Sanchez, who hit .477 with 31 RBI and 31 runs scored.
Honorable mentions for Logan in the all-district voting were senior infielder Colton Liles, junior outfielder Izaiah Kneitz and senior third baseman Skyler DeLuca.
The Longhorns finished with a 19-1 record and were ranked No. 1 virtually all season until their loss to district rival Melrose in the state championship.
Tucumcari had one all-district player, freshman shortstop Nick Goen, nabbing it for the second straight year.
He batted .333, led the team in runs (15) and sported a .954 fielding average.
The Rattlers finished the second with a 5-18 record overall and 1-14 in Class 3A's District 4/5.