Base will be adding one aircraft per month, official says
March 21, 2012
Col. David Piech of Cannon Air Force Base gave Roosevelt County commissioners an update on Cannon activity at the Tuesday county commission meeting. The following is what he reported:
• The base will be changing its vice wing commander and flight medicine commander later this year.
• One new aircraft a month will continue arriving at the base for the entire year. Piech showed pictures of several types of aircraft, including the Predator and the Reaper.
• The base has more than 5,600 personnel and is expected to have almost 6,200 in the next two years.
• There are 39 construction projects going at a cost of $639.7 million.
• Almost $1.3 billion in construction will have occurred by 2019.
• There will be 677 new homes on base in the next three years.
• There will be a lot of construction and development over this summer.
• The base will have invested $31 million in the Melrose range by 2013.
• Future development will include looking to expand impact area at range and a joint exercise facility.
• The base is considering using Xeriscaping and is watching its water pipelines closely for water conservation.
— Compiled by CMI staff writer Alisa Boswell